- EPISODE THIRTEEN In this episode we discuss how to take notes, long-term career planning, and why it is books seem to get more difficult to write the more of them you write. I’ll also be tackling some listener questions, from where to find more gooey biopunk to what I think of writers’ unions . Listen below or on iTunes (NOTE: itunes takes awhile to show new eps)
Archive for the ‘Kcast’ Category
- EPISODE NINE: Real talk about why women in every industry are done with the bullshit, why it’s OK to delete Facebook (yes, even if you have books to promote!), writing and mental health, and some advance craft discussions about how to manage burnout and writing expectations. Listen below or on iTunes.
- EPISODE SIX : In this episode I discuss the amazing power of cultivating good habits, how to organize your life when overwhelmed, and the importance of building and believing in your own story – and how to get other folks on board too. Listen below or on iTunes.
Books mentioned in this episode (affiliate links)
- EPISODE 5: In this episode I chat with successful full-time writer who is “totally the SHIT on Amazon” Melissa F. Olson about author friendships. Melissa and I shatter the myth of competitive authors, share the story of how we met, talk about why writer friendships are so vital in this lonely profession, talk about how women writers in particular can indeed have it all – just not all at once! – and offer tips to both budding baby writers and established pros on how to cultivate author friendship. Listen below or on iTunes.
- EPISODE FOUR: In this episode I chat with my agent, Hannah Bowman, about the daunting task of story structure. We answer Twitter questions, talk about why opera fans are great at writing synopses, and I admonish her for spoiling all of your favorite shows. Listen below or on iTunes.
- EPISODE THREE: You Don’t Own Meeeeeee. Chat about when one becomes a “real writer,” the Everest of publishing, who owns your time, Swecon roundup, and the annoying inevitability of publisher rights grabs.
I’m working on a project to record all of my short fiction in podcast form (and hopefully some GW snippets soon). These will go up on my website once it’s live. The header (Kcast and etc.) will likely change, and I’d like to get a better audio recording device, but here’s a taste of what I’m up to:
I’ll probably record this a couple more times to get the tone right.
Next up is “Wonder Maul Doll,” which pretty much nobody’s ever read (it originally appeared in a little anthology called From the Trenches), but it’s a seriously brutal women story. Hurrah!