1) It opens with something like: “The Heroes took wing from a dark, raw field the color of blood.” And you know exactly what you’re in for. This isn’t going to be a “happy” story.
2) Somebody loses something – an eye, a finger, a limb, a head, a womb – at some point
3) Big women with commitment issues go around killing things and trying not to care about people.
4)Skinny men – usually described as looking like or acting like dancers (hey, I used to have a thing for a dancer) – act as the loyal sidekick to above strong woman.
5)There are a lot of bugs
6) Wars are going on and shit is blowing up
7) Somebody’s carrying around a big gun that shoots acid.
8) The traditional “one man, one woman,” happy hetero pairing is very sweet – and you’re not reading about it.
9) Getting pregnant isn’t a good idea. And if the women are going around having sex (and oh yes, they are), you’ll get an explanation as to why she ain’t pregnant.
10) The civil war’s just the subplot